Guest Post: North of the Border

Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Hello everyone! This is Emily from Ruby Slipper Journeys, thrilled to be filling in for Annalise on this special occasion. In honour of Annalise getting married I thought I'd wear what I call "my mom's wedding dress." Well, half of it. My mom actually got married in a custom-made tweed skirt suit, and I took over the jacket some years ago as my semi-casual fall jacket. It adds a certain spice to going about daily life, knowing that you're wearing a garment that represents the official union of your parents, and their subsequent decision to have you. If I ever get married myself, I expect I'll wear some sort of dress, but my family has a bit of a history of suited weddings (I'm still heartbroken that my grandmother's claret velvet wedding suit was lost in a laundromat fire). And in the case of this jacket, it certainly makes for a conversation piece. Since the Hummingbird girls are equally about presenting a sense of place as they are about fashion, I thought I'd include a few shots of my hometown, Vancouver, Canada, on the day I wore this. I just spent a month in Vancouver after being away for almost three years, and it was a whirl of good weather, panoramic views, film festival screenings, and of course, overeating.

Congratulations Annalise! Wishing you and your husband all the best from north of the border!

4 comments:

Little Scribbler: sh*t I wear, think, eat, drink :

Aw, that's a dead nice story. And on a completely superficial note, I love those sunglasses!

Rebecca :

Cat's eye glasses really suit you! Also that's a great story, I agree it adds a little something wearing a piece of family history in your day to day life. When I read the first part of your post I thought you were talking about the dress, a suit is a very chic choice.

Em :

Cute outfit and I love the story behind the jacket. Love Vancouver! Was there for work recently.

Milla :

Cute! My grandma also got married in a suit and always remembered how she "was so nervous, she forgot to take her galoshes off" ;)

Hip HIp Hurrah for Annalise!